at 2 Aircraft Depot ex U.S.A.
at No 1 Operational Training Unit ex 2 AD.
through a fence landing at Western Junction.
instructions from the Air Board, 15 Hudsons were detached to North
Eastern Area from 10 December 1942 for "an indefinite period for the
purposes of transporting troops, arms and equipment to the forward
battle areas" at Buna and Sanananda. A16-105 was one of these aircraft,
and was flown by Flight Lieutenant David W I Campbell. Known as No
1 OTU Detached Flight and under the Command of Squadron Leader O B
Hall, they flew under extremely hazardous conditions from Ward's at
Moresby to Soputa and Dobodura until recalled on 11 January 1943.
to Townsville by Flt Lt Campbell for an engine change at 12 RSU due
to excessive oil consumption.
to 1 OTU.
with dual controls.
to European Air Transport, Sydney NSW.
Curtiss Madsen Aircrafts Pty Ltd applied to DCA for registration VH-CMA.
DCA letter responded that it was not available because it was "too
far ahead of the registration sequence" and allocated them VH-BKY.
to Curtis Madsen Aircrafts Pty Ltd as VH-BKY and named "Riverina".
of ownership to East-West Airlines.
VH-EWB. Named "Cathedral City".
transferred to South Coast Airways Pty Ltd (by this time an East-West
subsidiary). Aircraft still registered to East-West.
a tentative aerial mapping contract with the NSW Department of Lands.
Following the success of this contract, East-West were awarded a two
year contract with a one year extension option.
held at Mascot, NSW to hand over the newly overhauled and converted
VH-EWS to the NSW Department of Lands at the commencement of a three-year
aerial mapping contract. Aircraft was named George Vincent
in honour of the NSW Surveyor-General.
from service by East-West.
board resolved to wind up South Coast Airways and re-purchase two
to John Fairfax & Sons as VH-SMO.
to Adastra Aerial Surveys.
aircraft suffered a fire in the starboard engine while returning to
Sydney after a photographic sortie over Richmond, NSW. The fire was
not finally confirmed until the aircraft was on final. The aircraft
landed normally with emergency vehicles in attendance. The aircraft
was towed back to the Adastra hangar where it apparently remained
out of service undergoing repairs until at least late August. |
See: Baptism of Fire.
to Sepal Pty Ltd (Adastra) as VH-AGP.
all other Adastra Hudsons had the camera mount in the nose compartment,
the camera mount on VH-AGP was installed in the cabin. The aircraft
also differed from the other Hudsons in that it had a high pressure
oxygen system with a large cylinder protruding through the bulkhead
of the darkroom. Other Hudsons in the Adastra fleet had low pressure
bottles installed in the bomb bay. This image
shows camera operator Dave Barth working the camera in the cabin of
off the register as withdrawn from service.
to Malcolm Long and ferried to Moorabbin under a Permit to Fly (callsign
"Hudson 105"). During the subsequent restoration to military configuration,
it was found that the nose section had been so drastically modified
for survey use that it was deemed easier to obtain a stock Hudson
nose from New Zealand and graft this on to VH-AGP. The survey nose
in the static park at a Point Cook airshow. Marked as A16-123.
to Coolangatta under a Permit to Fly for display at the Chewing Gum
Field Museum. Registration VH-FXF was reserved but not taken up. Marked
A16-105/FX-F (6 Sqn code).
to Wangaratta under a Permit to Fly for display at Airworld.
by Malcolm Long to the Australian War Memorial. Malcolm Long is assisting
the AWM to build up a turret for the aircraft. (Source: Malcolm Long)|
The aircraft is displayed in the ANZAC Hall at the AWM.